“It’s a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you’re ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Author Unknown
We live in the home and headquarters of the ‘Just Do It’ motto but that doesn’t mean the motivation to get things done is always here. Yes, everyone is dressed like they just ran a marathon and I do think that getting dressed can sometimes be half the battle. But I still find myself sometimes unmotivated. Half the time I simply run out of time to workout, mail that package, make the healthy meal, fold the clothes, or a million other things that are on my list. I feel at times that I work so hard to get myself motivated that I waste half of my day telling myself to ‘just do it’ or I tell myself to wait and do it on Monday because it’s already too late. But now is your time. Now is when you reach your goals and chase your dreams. Now is your time. Why? Because now is now and tomorrow isn’t here yet. Choose today, this hour, this second, this now to be when you reach your goals. Even if your goals are a mountain tall or just laundry mountain high. Choose now.
Lately I have been on a little kick of getting things done so I thought I would list a few things below that might help you if you struggle with the same problem as me.
- Have motivational quotes everywhere. On your fridge, on your phone, on your mirror, wherever you will see it and feel inspired. “You are under no obligation to be the same person you were a year, month, or even 15 minutes ago. You have the right to grow.”
- Get up early! This one is a super hard one for me. I enjoy my sleep and I enjoy sleeping in but the earlier I get up the more things that I get done and there is just something about getting up early that motivates me.
- Set timers on your phone that tell you when it is time to move on from this task, aka TV, to the next task. I have them set to tell me when to stop writing and go for a run, get dressed for work, pull the chicken out of the freezer for dinner, or even to tell me that now I can relax.
- Choose a book over TV. I do feel that a book will workout your mind a little more than TV will but getting sucked into a good book still feels differently than vegging out in front of the TV. I feel that you can still easily get motivated when reading a good book than if you are binge watching Netflix. Plus a book will never ask you, “Are you still watching?” 😉
- Get dressed for your day the minute you wake up.
- Set aside time to relax. Tell yourself that ‘blank’ amount of time is for relaxing so whatever you do during that time you can fully enjoy knowing that you earned it. It’s easy to enjoy your Saturday when you worked really hard during the week and know that this day is set aside for this. When I was younger my mom would always say, “No one relaxes quite like you.” And in my family that’s probably true because they are always going and when it comes to my designated relaxing time there is nothing stopping me. Haha.
- Get someone to be your motivational partner. Someone that will hold you accountable and also help to push you.
- Get a killer playlist that just makes you want to get stuff done. Mine will always be and has always been ABBA. If I hear an ABBA song I cannot sit still. “You’re the dancing queennnnnnnn!”
- Think about where you want to be in a week, a month, a year. If it’s not the direction you are taking right now then make a change.
- Remember that how your life unfolds has a lot to do with you and the decisions you make.
I hope that this helps you get motivated and just do it! Let me know some ways that you keep yourself motivated in the comments below.
“You can always edit a bad page. You can’t edit a blank page.”
― Jodi Picoult